Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Welcome!

The rock music scene of Athens, GA is regarded as one of the most important and influential in the country.  Athens was home to the country's first and most famous college music scene, beginning in the late 1970s.  By the mid 1980s the "Athens Scene", as it was called, had garnered national and international attention because of the surprising numbers of Athens bands that were achieving success and influencing bands all over the country.
Some of the Athens bands from this time are well known: the B-52s and R.E.M. most notably.  But there are many more that didn't achieve widespread commercial success, yet contributed to the creative melting pot that made the "Athens Scene" happen.
I lived in Athens from 1979 to 1983 while attending the University of Georgia.  This blog is a tribute to the city's past and current music scene and to all the great bands I had the good fortune to see during my time there.
I was not on the "inside" of the Athens music scene.  I didn't know any band members, didn't attend any of the famous parties they threw.  But I went to the shows.  I bought the records.  I loved the music.  And I love sharing what I know about that incredible time and place.








No comments:

Post a Comment